The D3X redefines high resolution SLR photography, whether you shoot in the studio or out on location. The 24.5 megapixel FX format CMOS sensor delivers image files with outstanding levels of detail and tonal gradation and boasts an ISO range of 100 to 1600. Its durable Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter and EXPEED image processing engine enable it to shoot at up to 5 fps (7 fps in DX Crop mode). The advanced Scene Recognition System delivers superior exposures and is supported by Nikon’s widely acclaimed 51-point AF system, which offers broad coverage and individually selectable points. Selectable Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing, saving time in post-production. The high definition 3-inch LCD monitor supports two Live View modes plus an HDMI video output. Protected by a tough, environmentally-sealed magnesium alloy body.
24.5 megapixel FX format CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range and 12-channel readout.
ISO 100 – 1600: extendable up to 6400 (equivalent) and down to ISO 50 (equivalent).
5fps consecutive shooting (7fps in DX Crop mode)
EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the camera’s metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply defined images.
Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system. Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling customization of image parameters before capture and offer complete control over sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes.
920,000-dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.
Live View with Autofocus enables composition of images using the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod.
Two Crop Modes: DX format and 5:4 ratio. The DX crop mode can be automatically enabled when a DX lens is attached.
Quick response: approx. 40 ms shutter-lag and 55 ms viewfinder black-out.
Highly accurate, durable Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter unit: Standard rating of 300, 000 cycles, with a maximum shutter speed of 1/8,000 sec and flash synchronization at up to 1/250 sec.
Active D-Lighting enables superior high-contrast images by automatically applying tone compensation at the moment of capture.
Dual CF card slots: configurable for parallel (simultaneous) or serial (consecutive) recording.
HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
Intuitive ergonomics with optimized button placement for fast and comfortable handling.
Durable magnesium alloy body built to withstand the rigors of the harshest of environments.
Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.
Single-lens reflex digital camera
Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts
Effective angle of view
Equivalent to angle produced by lens focal length (1.5 times when DX format is selected)
CMOS sensor, 35.9 x 24.0 mm; Nikon FX format
Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX-D software required)
Image size (pixels)
- FX format (36 x 24): 6,048 x 4,032 (L), 4,544 x 3,024 (M), 3,024 x 2,016 (S) - DX format (24 x 16): 3,968 x 2,640 (L), 2,976 x 1,976 (M), 1,984 x 1,320 (S) - 5:4 (30 x 24): 5,056 x 4,032 (L), 3,792 x 3,024 (M), 2,528 x 2,016 (S)
Storage file formats
1) NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed, or uncompressed 2) TIFF (RGB) 3) JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression ([Size priority]); [Optimal quality] compression available 4) NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
Picture Control System
Four setting options: Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome; each option can be adjusted
CompactFlash (Type I/II, compliant with UDMA); Microdrives
Dual card slot
Slot 2 can be used for overflow or backup storage or for separate storage of NEF (RAW) and JPEG images
Compliant with DCF 2.0, DPOF, Exif 2.21, and PictBridge
SLR-type with fixed eye-level pentaprism
-3 to +1 m-1
18 mm (-1.0 m-1)
Type B BriteView Clear Matte VI screen
Approx. 100% (vertical/horizontal) in FX format, approx. 97% (vertical/horizontal) in DX format, approx. 100% (vertical) and approx. 97% (horizontal) in 5:4
Approx. 0.7x (50mm f/1.4 lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1)
When CPU lens is attached, lens aperture can be stopped down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or value selected by camera (P and S modes)
Instant-return type, with depth-of-field preview button
1) Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported 2) DX AF Nikkor: All functions supported except FX-format (36x24)/5:4 (30x24) image size 3) AF Nikkor other than type G or D2: All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering II 4) AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II 5) Non-CPU AI Nikkor: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data 1. IX-Nikkor lenses cannot be used 2. Excluding AF-Nikkor lenses for F3AF
Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
1/8,000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV; Bulb
Flash sync speed
X = 1/250 s; flash synchronization at up to 1/250 s
1) Single-frame [S] mode 2) Continuous Low-speed [CL] mode 3) Continuous High-speed [CH] mode 4) Live View [LV] mode 5) Self-timer mode 6) Mirror-up [Mup] mode
Frame advance rate
• DX format (24 x 16): Up to 5 fps (CL) or 5 to 7 fps (CH) • Other image areas: Up to 5 fps
Electronically controlled timer with duration of 2, 5, 10 or 20 s
TTL full-aperture exposure metering using 1,005-pixel RGB sensor
1) 3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); Color Matrix Metering II (other CPU lenses); Color Matrix Metering (non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data) 2) Center-Weighted: Weight of 75% given to 12-mm circle in center of frame, diameter of circle can be changed to 8, 15 or 20 mm, or weighting can be based on average of entire frame (non-CPU lenses use 12-mm circle or average of entire frame) 3) Spot: Meters 4-mm circle (about 1.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)
Metering range (ISO 100, f/1.4 lens, 20 °C/68 °F)
1) 0 to 20 EV (Matrix or Center-Weighted Metering) 2) 2 to 20 EV (Spot Metering) (ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, at 20°C/68°F)
Exposure meter coupling
Combined CPU and AI
1) Programmed Auto (P) with flexible program 2) Shutter-Priority Auto (S) 3) Aperture- Priority Auto (A) 4) Manual (M)
±5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
Exposure locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
Exposure and/or flash bracketing (2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV)
ISO 100 to 1600 in steps of 1/3, 1/2, or 1 EV; can be set to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, or 1 EV (ISO 50 equivalent) below ISO 100, or to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1, or 2 EV (ISO 6400 equivalent) over ISO 1600
Can be selected from [Auto], [Extra high], [High], [Normal], [Low], or [Off]
Nikon Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus sensor module with TTL phase-detection; 51 focus points (including 15 cross-type sensors); AF fine tuning possible
-1 to +19 EV (ISO 100 at 20°C/68°F)
1) Autofocus: Single-servo AF (S); Continuous-servo AF (C); Focus Tracking automatically activated according to subject status 2) Manual focus (M) with electronic rangefinder
Single AF point can be selected from 51 or 11 focus points
1) Single-point AF 2) Dynamic-area AF [number of AF points: 9, 21, 51, 51 (3D-Tracking)] 3) Auto-area AF
Focus can be locked by pressing AE-L/AF-L button or by pressing shutter-release button halfway (Single-point AF in AF-S)
1) TTL flash control with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor; i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL fill-flash available with SB-900, 800, 600 or 400 2) Auto aperture (AA): Available with SB-900, 800 and CPU lens 3) Non-TTL auto (A): Available with SB-900, 800, 28, 27 or 22s 4) Range-priority manual (GN): Available with SB-900, and 800
1) Front-curtain sync (normal) 2) Slow sync 3) Rear-curtain sync 4) Red-eye reduction 5) Red-eye reduction with slow sync
Lights when Speedlight such as SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-80DX, SB-28DX, or SB-50DX is fully charged; blinks after flash is fired at full output
ISO 518 hot shoe with sync and data contacts, and safety lock
ISO 519 sync terminal with locking thread
Nikon Creative Lighting System
With Speedlights such as SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, SB-R200, SU-800 (commander only), supports Advanced Wireless Lighting, Auto FP High-Speed Sync, Flash Color Information Communication, modeling flash and FV lock
• Auto (TTL white balance with main image sensor and 1,005-pixel RGB sensor); • Seven manual modes can be preset with fine-tuning; color temperature setting; white balance bracketing: 2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1, 2 or 3
Live View - Modes
Handheld mode: TTL phase-detection AF with 51 focus areas (15 cross-type sensors) Tripod mode: Contrast-detect AF on a desired point within a specific area
3-in., approx. 920k-dot (VGA), 170-degree wide-viewing-angle, 100% frame coverage, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
Full-frame and thumbnail (4 or 9 images) playback with playback zoom, slide show, histogram display, highlight display, auto image rotation, image comment (up to 36 characters), and voice memo input and playback
NTSC or PAL; simultaneous playback from both the video output and on the LCD monitor available
Type A connector is provided as HDMI output terminal; simultaneous playback from both the HDMI output terminal and on the LCD monitor not available
Can be used to connect optional remote control, GPS Unit GP-1, or GPS device compliant with NMEA 0183 version 2.01 and 3.01 (requires optional GPS Adapter Cord MC-35 and cable with D-sub 9-pin connector)
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a/EL4, Quick Charger MH-22/MH-21
AC Adapter EH-6 (optional)
1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 159.5 x 157 x 87.5 mm/6.3 x 6.2 x 3.4 in.
Approx. 1,220 g/2 lb. 11 oz. without battery, memory card, body cap or accessory shoe cover
Operating environment - temperature
Operating environment - humidity
Under 85% (no condensation)
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a, Quick Charger MH-22, USB Cable UC-E4, Audio Video Cable EG-D2, Camera Strap AN-D3X, Body Cap BF-1A, Accessory Shoe Cover BS-2, Eyepiece DK-17, Battery Chamber Cover BL-4, USB Cable Clip, Software Suite CD-ROM 1Supplied accessories may differ depending on country or area