RAW VIDEO OUTPUT FOR NIKON Z 7 and Z 6
London, United Kingdom, 17th December 2019: Nikon today announces RAW video output will be enabled for the Z 7 and Z 6 full-frame mirrorless cameras. The upgrade comes with the release of firmware 2.20.
Nikon is the first camera manufacturer to enable RAW video output direct from a full-frame mirrorless camera over HDMI. Users of the Z 7 and Z 6 cameras will be able to output a 12-bit RAW video stream to an Atomos Ninja V external recorder, which is included in the Nikon Z 6 Essential Movie Kit¹ ². The video stream is recorded as ProRes RAW,³ which preserves colour accuracy and extends brightness and shadow details. Video shooters will benefit from maximum flexibility in post-production without slowing down the edit: ideal for HDR workflows.
After downloading the firmware 2.20 update, support for RAW video output can be installed on Z 7 and Z 6 cameras at Nikon service centres with a £179 fee. Otherwise this service will be free of charge on all Nikon Z 6 cameras that were purchased as part of the Z 6 Essential Movie Kit.⁴
Superior image quality is the foundation of the Nikon Z series, and enabling RAW output via HDMI is a key enhancement for videographers of every kind. The Z series will continue to respond to changing user needs and offer next-generation features through future firmware updates.
¹ Ready your Z 7 or Z 6 camera for 12-bit RAW video output. Please download the firmware 2.20 update and then take your camera to a Nikon service centre to activate RAW. Fees will apply, please contact your local Nikon service centre for more details.
Download firmware 2.20 for Z 7 here.
Download firmware 2.20 for Z 6 here.
Find your Nikon service centre here.
² In order to be compatible with Nikon RAW video, Atomos Ninja V external recorders may also require a firmware update. For more information, please check the Atomos website.
³ ProRes RAW is a RAW video format developed by Apple Inc. in 2018.
⁴ If your Z 6 was purchased as part of a Z 6 Essential Movie Kit, and does not have support for RAW video output pre-installed yet, your nearest Nikon service centre will install it free of charge. Proof of purchase is required.
- NIKON WINS FIVE RED DOT AWARDS INCLUDING ‘BEST OF THE BEST’ FOR THE Z 9
- NIKON RELEASES VER.1.2.0 OF THE NX FIELD REMOTE SHOOTING SYSTEM FOR PROFESSIONAL IMAGING AGENCIES
- Nikon is developing the Remote Grip MC-N10 for the Nikon Z mount system
- NIKON RELEASES NEW Z SERIES FIRMWARE AND HIGH-CAPACITY MEMORY CARD
- NIKON RELEASES THE UNIQUELY PORTABLE NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S
- OUR RESPONSE TO THE SITUATION IN UKRAINE
- Nikon releases Ver. 1.1.0 of the NX Field remote shooting system for professional photographers and agencies
- WARNING REGARDING SUSPICIOUS EMAILS IMITATING PUBLIC RELATIONS FROM NIKON
- REACH BEYOND WITH THE NEW NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S
- Nikon to release new firmware for the Nikon Z 9 flagship mirrorless camera